Greeva means neck region, basthi means retention. Retaining hot medicated herbal oil in the neck region is greeva basthi . This is a process of oleation and sudation in the cervical region for reducing inflammation and improving the strength of muscles. It helps in making the movements more flexible and is really effective in degenerative changes. Today’s lifestyle has been one which is more spent sitting and on laptops, lack of exercise, problems of spine, muscles, joints are all at an increasing rate.
Greeva basthi addresses these issues effectively. problems of the spine, muscles and skeletal tissues of neck and shoulder arise. Greeva Vasti addresses these issues effectively.
The patient is made to lie in a windless room. A person is made to lie face down on a wooden massage table ( Droni). A dough is prepared out of black gram flour or whole wheat flour mixed with water. It is then made into a small ring of four to five inches in diameter and is placed over the neck to cover the cervical vertebrae and first 2-3 thoracic vertebrae. After fixing the dough firmly over that region, glue it with some water to make it leakproof. Then pour lukewarm medicated oil or herbal decoction slowly into it. Oil is retained, once it cools, it is squeezed out using a cloth and replaced with more warm oil. In the end, after about 30 minutes, remove the oil, remove the dough give a gentle massage and ask the patient to take a rest.
Greeva Basthi good for:
- Cervical spondylosis
- Cervical spondylitis.
- Cervical degenerative changes
- Numbness and radiation to hand and shoulders
- Frozen shoulder
- Rotatory cuff injury
- Compression fracture
- Relieves stress, pain, numbness
- Improves flexibility of movements of joint
- Strengthens the muscles
- Heals the injury
- Improves the circulation over that area
- Relieves congestion in nerves.
- Relieves the stress and congestion in nerves bones
- Rejuvenating and Relaxing the Muscles of the neck and shoulder
- Improves flexibility and brings smooth movement.
- Improves circulation around the neck and shoulder region