Udwarthanam is powder massage. Medicated herbal powders are mixed with medicated oil and are massaged over the whole body in upward strokes. Udwarthana massage therapy becomes effective in deep tissues. The intensity of massage produces heat in the body which melts the excess fat in your body. Usually, it is indicated in obesity conditions. Also, deep massage helps in stimulating nerves. It can also work very well to improve the immunity and lymphatic flow of the body.
Udwarthanam was traditionally followed as a daily routine. Sometimes it was administered along with Shirodhara or Takradhara.
Types of Udwarthanam
- Snigdha or Sneha Udwarthanam or Utsadana: Here herbal paste is prepared with a mixture of herbs and medicated oils depending on the condition of the person. The paste is applied by masseurs on the whole body and vigorously massaged by applying pressure in the upward direction. This helps in exfoliating dead skin, rejuvenating skin, used in skin disorders, and improves glow, texture, complexion, and tone. These are usually opted for weak people and skin-sensitive people, according to Charaka Samhita.
- Ruksha Udwarthanam or Udgharshana: Here herbal powder is applied to the whole body and massaged vigorously. The rough and dry nature of herbal powder is useful for the reduction of excess Kapha in the body. It also aims at reducing cellulite and fat under the skin. It is indicated in insulin resistance and obesity. It is also good for improving nerve stimulation.
Benefits of Udwarthanam Treatment
- Soothes nerve endings
- Improves blood circulation
- Muscle stiffness
- Skin disorders
- Rejuvenates skin
- Restores tone, elasticity, glow, texture, and complexion of skin
- Reduces inflammations of joints.
- Prevents cholesterol in the body
- Eliminates bad body odor
- Muscular dystrophy, Arthritis, Parkinson’s disease, Motor neuron disorder