PCOS/ PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian syndrome)
It is now a very common and familiar term even for common people. It is one of the most familiar conditions women of reproductive age suffer from. PCOS is a lifestyle disorder. It is the presence of multiple tiny to large cysts in the ovaries of women aged between 10-45 years and leads to irregularities in the menstrual cycle, and various other gut issues, and physical appearance issues like facial hair growth, black marks, etc. Biologically it is a condition caused by hormonal fluctuation. The number of male hormones seems to show an increase and levels of LH (Luteinizing hormones are high while FSH(Follicle stimulating hormones ) are low. As a result of this hormonal imbalance, ovaries produce infertile ovums or no ovums at all.
Causes of PCOS/PCOD
- Life style
- Lack of exercise
- Junk foods
- Genetic nature of gyneac issues ( Not always genetically related)
- Increased levels of androgens
- Constant intake of hormone treatments or pills for regularizing or altering menstrual cycles
- Inflammations in the Uterine area.
- Increased Kapha dosha with pitta and Vata imbalance in the lower abdomen
Symptoms of PCOS/PCOD
- Irregular menstrual cycles ( Intervals become lengthy/short – More cycles but mostly number of cycles reduces to 9 per year)
- Absence of menstruation
- Scanty bleeding or spotting
- Heavy bleeding
- Abdominal cramps
- Weight gain
- Facial hair
- Hair loss
- Increased stress
- Masculine body physique
- Acne on face and neck
- Thick dark pigmentation around the neck
- Irritability and mood swings
Secondary Disorders Developing Due to PCOS
- Insulin resistance
- Thyroid dysfunction
- High blood pressure
Line Of Management in Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, the cyst is a sign of Kapha dushti , bloating and other menstrual flow irregularities indicating Apanavayu imbalance ( Vata located in the lower abdomen) and hormone imbalance shows pitta imbalance. So in short Ayurvedic treatment focuses on all the 3 doshas when it is PCOS. The other symptoms like hair growth, pigmentation in the neck, weight gain, etc gradually get solved when the cyst is completely eliminated, the gut is cleansed and the menstrual cycle becomes regular.
The primary concern for PCOS is a correction in diet and lifestyle. A carbohydrate-less diet with restrictions on oil and meat is necessary. Along with that regular exercise/yoga is also very important. Then come the medicines and treatments.
Nasya, Uttaravasthi, Avagaham, Udwarthanam, Shirodhara, and proper elimination therapy like virechana are the therapies.
We plan a personalized treatment schedule depending on patient’s body nature:
- Weight loss – Achieved through proper diet and exercise (5-10% reduction in weight ) will regularize the menstrual cycle.
- Restoration of proper cycle- Done by using herbal medications which strengthen uterine walls and also improve the quality of menstrual blood.
- Restoration of infertility – Through virechana we eliminate all doshas, then through proper diet, exercise, and medication we aim at improving gut health so that nutrients are well absorbed and properly reach cells and make them perfect for their functions. There are medications that help in endometrium strengthening
- The ovum should get proper nourishment for its healthy growth and only a healthy ovum is fertile.
- Hormone levels are also brought to balance by proper diet, yoga, and medication. Shirodhara can also help in balancing hormone fluctuation.
- Hair growth and Acne – When the doshas are back to their balanced state, these after-effects naturally disappear. There are also therapies to combat skin and hair issues
- Lowering of serum insulin levels – By balanced hormones
- Reduce carbohydrates and sugars
- Reduce salt
- Increase water intake , vegetables, fruits and nuts in diet
- Avoid red meat and chicken
- Can have small fishes
- Avoid oil dip fries
- Perform regular exercise /yoga
- Practice Pranayama – Nasal breathing
Contact Us Today!
We are pleased to inform you that there is free parking now available when you visit Dr. Sathya. The name of the parking area is Samara parking. It’s just opposite to West zone supermarket. Behind the al ain center building. Just inform the parking person that you are going to the AYUR SATHYA clinic. Make ensure your appointment before coming