Kizhi means it is a cloth filled with herbal medications or herbal powders used to massage the body by applying pressure using the cloth poultice. It is a kind of fomentation or sudation therapy that is more anti-inflammatory in nature. Here in Podikizhi, we make a poultice with herbal powders which have anti-inflammatory properties and then warm it on a pan and massage either the whole body or a localized area on the body where there is pain and inflammation. Duration is usually 60 minutes. If done on the whole body, the patient is made to sit in 7 different positions, and in each position massage is done.
Benefits of Churna Pinda Sweda (Podi kizhi)
- Joint inflammations
- Joint pains
- Reduces edema
- Strengthens muscle tissues, ligaments, and tendons
- Increases blood circulation
- Stimulates nerve endings
- Usually used in Neuromuscular degenerative disorders or arthritis or frozen shoulders/spondylitis/sciatica
- Also used in obesity and diabetic patients
- In diabetic patients always take care not to apply too much heat
- Very effective in acute joint and muscular pains of low back, neck, and shoulders.