Cancer represents a significant economic burden for the global economy and is now the third leading cause of death worldwide. The most common solid organ malignancies arise in the lung, breast, and gastrointestinal tract, but skin cancer is the most common form worldwide. Life style modification could reduce these if steps were taken to avoid animal fat and red meat, lower alcohol, increase fiber, fresh fruit, and vegetable intake, and avoid being obese.
The formation and growth of cancer constitute a multistep process, during which sequentially occurring gene mutations result in the shape of a cancerous cell.
Sign and symptoms
10 Hallmarks of cancer: –
- Genome instability and mutation.
- Resisting cell death.
- Sustaining proliferative signaling.
- Evading growth suppressors.
- Enabling replicative immortality.
- Inducing angiogenesis.
- Activating invasion and metastasis.
- Reprogramming energy metabolism.
- Tumor-promoting inflammation.
- Evading immune destruction.
Risk factors: –
- Familial predisposition
- Excess body weight
- Tobacco consumption
- Unhealthy food habits
- Excess sun exposure
Presenting problems in oncology: –
- Palpable mass & Lymph nodes, Changing skin lesion
- Unintentional weight loss and fever
- Ectopic hormone production
- Neurological paraneoplastic syndromes
- Cutaneous manifestations
Emergency complications: –
- Spinal cord compression
- Superior vena cava obstruction
- Neutropenic fever
- Tumor lysis syndrome
- A detailed history should be taken
- A thorough clinical examination is required
- Histological analysis of a biopsy or resected specimen
- Imaging techniques: – MRI, CT, USG, PET
- Biochemical markers or tumor markers. E.g. CA-125, PSA, hCG, CA-19.9 etc.
Cancer has become the most dangerous and popular lifestyle disease worldwide. In Ayurveda, lifestyle diseases are diseases caused by Viruddha ahara and vihara. Cancer can be correlated to Arbuda as per Ayurveda treatise. Signs and symptoms of many pre-cancerous and post-cancerous states can be observed under different conditions like Gulma, Gandamala, Granthi, Apachi etc. According to acharyas, cancer is a swelling superficially or situated in the deeper structure or sometimes as chronic ulcers.
In the pathology of arbuda, Vata and Kapha doshas are mainly involved, interacting with one another and resulting in proliferation.
Line of management in Ayurveda: –
- Samsodhanam (Purification therapy) i.e. Vamana (Therapeutic emesis) can be employed depending upon vyaadhibala and rogi bala.
- All measures should be taken to normalize the uncontrolled vata dosha that which responsible for proliferation. Vatakapha hara methods should be done.
- Attempts made to increase Ojas are also appreciated.
- The line of treatment of Gulma and apachi can also judiciously.
- For headaches, Nasya and murdhataila are beneficial.
Lifestyle changes for prevention of cancer: –
- Regular exercise, Practice yoga, etc.
- Consume Pathya aahara and avoid viruddhahara
- Avoid excess use of, white sugar, salt, oil, white flour, white rice, etc.
- Avoid carbonated beverages
- Avoid exposure to radiation.
Contact Us Today!
We are pleased to inform you that there is free parking now available when you visit Dr. Sathya. The name of the parking area is Samara parking. It’s just opposite to West zone supermarket. Behind the al ain center building. Just inform the parking person that you are going to the Ayur Sathya clinic. Make ensure your appointment before coming